Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Wonderful World Of...

...SE Asian Politics and Media.

Since spending most of my life in SE Asia since 1997 I have taken a keen interest in politics and current affairs and the way it is reported.

I find it much more interesting than UK politics.

In the UK, it is a fairly open affair. There's a wide-ranging and relatively free media. Some criticize the Govt heavily, some don't, some sensationalise everything and publish scandalous news complete with sordid details. The views of Opposition parties are widely-reported, Commons proceedings are live on TV everyday etc... but I find it quite boring.

Here is a different story. However I have recently become a bit bored with reading the same old stories in the newspapers. The Star in particular seems to follow a very familiar format day-in day-out...
  • Front Page - The PM offers some words of wisdom or says something positive about the Govt.
  • Page 2 - DPM says something similar
  • Page 3 - Ong Ka Ting says something positive about the MCA
  • Page 4 - Samy Vellu's page.
Recently I found something that has injected a great deal of interest into current affairs - Malaysia Today. Now I'm reluctant to get political in this blog so all I will say about Malaysia Today is that, even if you don't believe what they write, what they undoubtedly do is offer some perspective. A different side of the story, or bits of the sides that nobody else wants to report.

It is very refreshing to read articles from a different point-of-view.

1 comment:

Azman said...

I'm glad you've found your way to Malaysia Today. I found it refreshing too when I first visited it.

Newspapers in Malaysia has to go through a screen or some sort. Proof is here http://tank-thinks.blogspot.com/ (Tank's a reporter for Kosmo and is based in Malacca).

Only thing is it's in Bahasa Malaysia. The earlier article has a different tone from the one published. Who did it? I have no idea.