Friday, August 04, 2006

The Lazy Period - June to July 2006

Having proven to myself that I am a supremely fit super-athlete, by finishing the MMDS1 Duathlon in April, and the New Balance Pacesetters 15k run in May (in 1:51:27, well inside my target of 2:00:00 - not bad considering I have never run that far before), I took a bit of a break from running/cycling/hashing 2-3 times a week. My body didn't like this sudden inactivity and repaid me with a dose of the flu in mid-June. A few fags at Paul's wedding in England on 30th June followed by a Hamlet cigar whilst watching Italy beat Germany in the World Cup semi didn't help much either.

As finishing a Sprint Duathlon was not such a big deal anymore, my desire to re-commence training didn't surface until mid/late July. I planned to start training by going to the KL Harriettes Hash in TTDI Park in KL on the evening of the 19th. I then planned to cycle 20k or so to work on the Saturday morning and do the Klang 10k run on the Sunday morning. My plans were crippled by a viral infection and a 40 degree fever that appeared suddenly on the 19th. This basically wiped me out and I couldn't face any kind of activity until the 25th when I managed to do about 18k on my bike in the evening. Later in the week my flu re-appeared in the form of an infected left sinus, which brought along a thumping headache with it. I was seriously doubting that I could do the Duathlon, which I had really be looking forward to for months, particularly as this one had a longer (25k) bike ride - which suits me better.

I thought that a comination of early-nights and prayers would do the trick. By Saturday night (Duathlon-eve) I needed a small overnight miracle. Miraculously, I felt good when I woke at 0515hrs on the Sunday morning despite Lucas lying next to me and sniffing all night (he had caught my cold), so off I went to Putrajaya, with the sole aim of finishing, in whatever time it takes.

No comments: