Friday, October 27, 2006

Deeparaya Rides

I just had 5 days off work (combined Deepavali and Hari Raya break) so managed a couple of long-ish bike rides. On Monday I cycled up Old Gombak Road to Genting Sempah, then tried to climb further up towards Genting. Unfortunately I didn't get very far after Genting Sempah (about 2km) as the road becomes very steep. Here's the profile...


If I had a smaller gear on my bike (current smallest is 42 x 23) and wasn't intent on limiting my HR max I could have gone further - I had the energy and strength.

Sempah is the first peak, then downhill to the R&R stop, then back up another 200m climb to my highest point.

Tuesday was a couch potato day, but on Wednesday I went cycling again, despite having to drive back home to collect my front wheel, which I had forgotten!!

I cycled from the Mosque near Batu Caves, all the way North to Ulu Yam. I couldn't face retracing my steps as planned, so continued to Ulu Yam Lama and back to KL through Rawang. Here's the profile for that ride...


The first small peak is the climb up and into the valley, next to the lake, followed by a gentle uphill ride about halfway to Ulu Yam. This is followed by a fantastic long and fast downhill on which I managed to reach 76.6km/h (47.6mp/h) with very little effort!

The road back to Rawang is rolling, the final climb from 50 to 60km being south out of Rawang towards Selayang.

As always when I ride North out of KL on the Ulu Yam road, my legs felt weak and my pace was very slow. However after a water stop in Ulu Yam at 30km I felt great. My theory is that this is due to my high-carb brekkie not reaching my muscles until 2-3hrs after eating it.

I got absolutely soaked in a proper tropical rainstorm around Rawang. Apart from being a bit worried about hitting submerged potholes, it was quite good fun!!

No comments: