Thursday, October 19, 2006

Titiwangsa Lake Training Run

As I drove home yesterday I was very very close to just going home and not going for a run. I really felt like I had an angel and a devil on my shoulders. The angel won and despite the haze and proximity of light rain, I managed 2 x 3km anticlockwise laps around Tasik Titiwangsa in record-beating time. I clocked 38:47 as opposed to a previous best of 49:06 on the same route, an amazing 20% improvement in time, at an average HR of 153bpm, only 2bpm or <2% higher than before.

[In my last Duathlon 5km run in July (June?), it took me 39 mins to do only 5km, although admittedly I had barely recovered from illness then.]

I really felt much better than before and knew that I was running much faster than earlier in the year. At that pace I would do 10k in 1:05:00. Next time I think I'll do 3 laps = 9km to see how I go, as I am hoping to beat the hour mark (for 10km) within 2006 or 2007. However I think my pace will have to be a bit slower as I'd want to keep my HR around 160bpm, whereas towards the end of yesterday's run it was rising up to 163-164bpm and that's only after 6km.

Off swimming tonight, with my new 'Orca' swim briefs - lets see how much faster I can go without the drag of my usual Speedo beach shorts, which hardly count as performance swimwear.

I am doing the 800m swim + 7km run Chin Woo biathlon in 10 days so should do some training. I'm doing an 8km Hash on Saturday afternoon, and might do another similar run on Sunday also.

Next Mon - Wed will be a holiday, so I'd like to get at least one big bike ride in - I am actually thinking about seeing how far I can cycle up towards Genting Highlands (1500m? climb).

No comments: