Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A'Famosa Tri Double

Sprint Race

After a strenuous 10km run in the morning, 3hrs+ driving (with some lovely durian on the way) and not getting into our room until 35mins before the start - I wasn't well prepared for the Sprint. But I didn't worry too much as this was pure fun for me - I had no intention of pushing it.

I did the swim in just under 13mins and was pleased with my navigation. My triceps were pretty sore though, and I became worried that they'd be equally sore the next morning. Arif & Michelle (who's swimming has improved a lot) both beat me out of the water. I ambled through transition, closely followed by Lucas, and even chatted with swim coach Peh (about my tired triceps) before hopping on the bike.

On the bike I was tired, slow, and couldn't cope with the aero-position. I seriously contemplated doing one loop for a DNF. But I persevered and did the second loop and then onto the run/walk. I ran for a while with Adeline, and was overtaken by Karen Siah at the end. She is making a habit of doing that. I finished in 1:14 - 12 mins slower than last year, but I was tired a really took it very easy all the way.

Olympic

My first conscious thought on the Sunday was when Jackie woke me up and almost gave me a heart attack by saying "is it really 7.3am?". It was still pitch black outside and I felt like sleeping for another 12 hours. I rushed to my watch - it was 3.38am. THANKS SAYANG!!!

Apart from that I slept well and got up on time. 2 x bananas, half a Powerbar, a coffee and some Isostar later, I was ready and arrived just in time to set up, get numbered, greet everyone and head down to the water. I LOVE the pre-race feeling - excitement, anticipation, the effort ahead, the thrill of the battles in the water, the downhills, high-fiving the roadside kids etc...


Swim

The swim was mediocre. I was kicked in the face once (not badly) but got settled in and my navigation was ok again. As I do in running, as time went on I began to overtake others, and only managed to recognize Shazly (who tailed me last year too), who I think made it out very close behind me. I finished in 34mins+, 2mins behind my target.

Bike

T1 all ok and onto the bike. Feeling much better today until about 500m in when a bum after a bridge launched one of my bottles into space. I turned round to get it and lost 40-50s. Shazly whizzed past me and I hoped to catch him but didn't.


So far I was well organised and had remembered to record my swim exit, bike start and even change my watch to show average speed for the ride. It never made it above 30kph but I did manage to just beat last years time even though the u-turn was 500m further along the road. After the u-turn I managed to spot some of my closest "rivals" - Arif & Michelle. They were close! And too close for comfort! Maybe only 1-3mins behind. With under a km to go I saw Adzim on his run and thought I might catch him - but only if his knee packed-up!!

My lack of cycling training really showed - I should have been able to go faster, especially on my TT bike. Never mind - I saw guys with P3C's and aero helmets still behind me! I managed my HR well and it stayed at around 84-5%, giving me another 5% for the run. But my time was already about 2 hours - my 2:40 target was gone!

Run

Into T2 I remembered to get my feet out of my shoes for a quick run to the rack. I almost ran to where my bike was racked the day before, but managed to gather my senses in time and ended up in the right place.

I began running slowly but eventually picked up a bit and there were no signs of the thigh cramps I had last year. I think I came across Sofian quite early on, and then Shazly on the shot but steep-ish hill after 1km or so. He had a lovely green band down the back of his suit that gave me the impression he'd swam so fast that the algae had to form an aerodynamic pattern!

I was feeling good, running at a reasonable pace I felt I could maintain all the way, and was overtaking a good few competitors. A few passed me, but not many. Last year my run was a total nightmare and took me over an hour. This year I did 56mins - with pitstop - for a 6-800m longer course.

I finished in 2:55+, outside my target but 6mins+ faster than last year with a longer ride and run. I'm happy for Adzim that his knee held up. And well done to the very bubbly Amy, who finished her first triathlon!

More A'Famosa and Bomba run photos here - thanks as always to Ivie, Jaja and Tey.

2 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Wow, spanking new bike and suit... looks good on you! Well done on your race.

sofiantriathlete said...

well done adrian