Sunday, May 25, 2008

RMAF 21km

I am sans car now , and I've taken my trusty old Shogun to bits (permanently) so Planet X came out to play to get me down to TUDM this morning for the 21km. I arrived and locked up the bike. Was puzzled as to where all the runners were. Headed off towards a large inflatable arch about 300m away that I thought was the start. As it turned out, the start was another 600m away and so I missed the gun by 3-4 mins!

Mmmmmm - not a good start! I was seriously considering 20min run followed by a DNF but after a few minutes I caught the imcyclist gang and then Patsy Yap, so my spirits were lifted. After less than 1km I also came across a bunch of girls walking, and each carrying quite sizeable shoulder bags - very strange!?!?

I took the first few km at a snails pace and as I passed all the back-markers thoughts of a DNF fizzled out. This run had distance markers every km so I could regularly check my pace. I was doing 6:00/km but had lost a couple of mins at the start after chatting with imcyclists. I began to feel good and from 45mins to 1:37 felt quite fast and managed to dip under 6:00/km pace.

By the last few km I was on target for a surprise sub 2:06 and eventually finished in a very pleasing 2:03:15. But acording to a few different sources, including me, the distance was only 20.4 ot 20.5km. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased considering that I've done zero exercise in the last 2 weeks except the NB 15km and a ride up to Genting.


20.4km in 1:03:15 @ 6:03/km (or 2:07:03 pace for 21km)

15km in 1:31:10 = 30s outside PB!

No comments: