Saturday, September 30, 2006

Swimmming, Rillette, Puncak Alam, Lunch

Hi folks, here's some recent news.

Went for my now weekly swim on Thursday night. I did the usual 1000m but didn't bother trying to improve on my almost complete inability to do front crawl. I beat last weeks time by almost a minute with a heart rate 1bpm less - good eh?!? One more session to go before my 750m open water swim next weekend.

MY training plans took a slight but pleasurable knock last night as I went out for dinner & drinks with Jim and James (colleagues). After a few beers we ended up in a nice French restaurant where I had "French" pizza (cream cheese replacing the tomato paste), rillette (I finally found somewhere in KL that has this lovely delicacy!) and then coq au vin. All very tasty, and washed down with red wine. At that point I was trying very hard to go home (10.15pm) and sleep well before my Saturday a.m. 23km bike ride to work, but my arm was severely twisted and I just had to go to another bar with J & J for a few JackDaniels & Ginger Ales.

I retired at 12.15am and failed to get up in time for my ride. Never mind - I'm cycling 70km to Puncak Alam on Sunday morning. I have some new "toys" for my bike. A small compressed air cylinder and adaptor to quickly inflate a tyre after a puncture, a compact multi-tool thingy (6 allen keys and flat/cross-head screwdrivers), a nice wee saddle bag to put them and a spare inner tube in, and a couple of new aluminium bottle cages, one of which will occupy the space vacated by the now redundant pump. Now I can go on a long bike ride with puncture repair kit and lots of water without needing anything (apart from a banana, car keys and cash) in my jersey pockets. It's also good planning for my triathlon where I need to jump on my bike quickly without having to load up my jersey with bits n pieces.

Was going out for a meal with Jackie tonight but we've had a change of plan - she's off out for dinner with her pal Nora, who is soon jetting back to her home in Sri Lanka. I'll relax and watch Bolton v Liverpool, and we'll go out for a nice Sunday lunch in a posh hotel - perhaps Dim Sum at the Shangri-La or a buffet at the Renaissance - sounds good eh?!?

Next post on Sunday night or perhaps Monday. Bye for now...

No comments: