Sunday, March 11, 2007

SMART Tunnel Run Race Report

An "interesting" run today.

As Joel is an old veteran he couldn't start with us cat. "A"'s so I waited and started with all the oldies. And I mean waited. The run started late (no doubt due to the late arrival of "VIP"s. Then the second group had to wait almost forever to start - there was endless inaudible chatting by the announcers, then lots of photographers buzzing around like flies around s**t. The start officials were pretty grumpy. It seems to me that when anyone with a position of any authority is remotely pressured, they become miserable and rude. Anyway, enough grumbling for now!...

Here I am at the start (thanks as always to Tey for the photos)...little n large together...

Eventually we got underway. A fairly easy pace for the first 2km or so before entering the tunnel.

No water at the first water stop (an unusually early one, being after only 3km or so) - not a good sign! Running in the tunnel was a bit odd and I felt a bit uncomfortable with breathing in an enclosed space. Joel even more so and he was slower than usual. Many other people felt the same, and I saw one poor guy on a stretcher being put into an ambulance. I'm not sure if the feeling was actually physical or just mental.

Halfway into the tunnel I had a 17s break to wait for Joel. The leading women started to pass us and that made the run much more enjoyable. At the u-turn, by which time Joel was some distance behind me, I noticed my project consultant's PM just ahead, like a carrot dangling in front of me. I passed him and headed back into the tunnel. The return leg in the smaller tunnel section was quite boring. I had to stop for a while to get water, and partly walked up the tunnel exit. Having all my known chums behind me ( or 15 minutes ahead!) hardly inspired me to go faster.

After the late start and poor water stops came the next annoyance - having to wait for a minute at the tunnel exit for traffic!! The police were as rude as usual. They don't seem to have any middle-ground emotion between apathy and rudeness.

'Twas nice to be back above ground, and I finished...13.3km in 1:22:20 @ 6:11/km.

Out of 10, I give this run a lowly 3 due to (A) uncertain distance (B) late start (C) very poor water stops (D) obstruction by traffic.

PHOTOS:

Here I come!! (at tunnel entrance)...

Here I am!...

Dodgy photo alert!...

My goodness! looking very serious at the end!!...


KL Half Marathon next Sunday - I've never run 21km before! My targets are - no stopping except for water and finish in...2:15:00.

5 comments:

Hengster said...

Good Run!

Raymond said...

see you at KLIM and PCC15km

Anonymous said...

did u know C3026 is der Chairman of der Pacemakers? hehehe...

NEZZ said...

adrian, see u at KLIM!! but i will surely can't catch u on the road, u're faster than me, i'm killing myself doing the 42km again.. :)

Adrian said...

c u there - i am v impressed you r doing 42km!