Monday, January 14, 2008

A Bridge Too Far

Recent happenings....

On Saturday I took delivery of my new toy - a Finis Tempo Trainer. It beeps at intervals according to your desired swim stroke rate / run stride rate or cycling cadence (i.e. small intervals 0.2s - 2s) or for lap times (1-10 mins). Apparently its a good training tool for swimming. You can clip it to your trunks or tuck it under a swim cap and use it to stick to a pre-planned stroke rate or pace.

Went out for a lovely Thai meal with Jackie in the evening at the Basil Leaf restaurant on Jalan Damai. You can't beat a good Thai spicy beef salad!

Off to bed at a reasonable time and up again a little after 5am for a (planned) 25km run. However, as predicted during a chat with a fellow runner at the halfway point, the seemingly magnetic lure of the car-park meant that it ended up being only 20.7km.

I maintained a good pace for the first 10km and started the second half with an extra "Petronas loop". I struggled a bit on the way back but my legs came back to life and I finished at an average pace of 6:18/km, my best yet since my training restarted about 13 weeks ago. BTW in that time I've run 344km - 26km per week - compared to 17km a week average last year.

Back at home I spent some time with adorable innocent 6-year old son Lucas, who chose that morning to ask - "Daddy? Is motherfu**er a bad word?"

After "Is mother..." I wondered what he was going to ask (he usually says "Mummy") but didn't think for a second what would actually come next! I'm not automatically blaming the influence of his mates for this but I am as sure as I can be that his knowledge of language like that has not been garnered from his family or within the walls of his home, and I do have my doubts about how some of his friend's parents control their kids exposure to violent games and movies, bad language etc...

Lucas and I then headed off to Bangsar Shopping Centre for a couple of Scalextric races (both of which I lost) and an Oreo McFlurry (highlight of the day!) before heading off back into town by LRT to catch the final stage of Jelajah Malaysia.


It was nice to see a successful small breakaway group in a criterium - it's so much more interesting than a big bunch procession.

Then home - Man U v Geordies - pizza - bed!

No comments: