Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Teaser

I can't find the cable I need to download me photos - so no track day photos yet. But here's the story...

Firstly you'll hopefully be pleased to know that I had nothing to do with the crashed 350Z (below) other than the fact that I was a few seconds behind it when it crashed (didn't see it though).Apparently it was the owners son who was driving at the time - oops! sorry Daddy!

Ishsal and I had a great time and did about 8 laps each. I went as fast as I was comfortable with - and this was to the extent that I got the tyres screeching - which is fast enough for me in someone else's car! I did a lap in 3:10 at an average of over 100kph - almost exactly double the time that the F1 cars do!

Ishsal had the rear end sliding a bit and the traction control kicking-in on some bends - great stuff!

The session was red-flagged at least three times, a black 350Z spun in front of us at turn 14, a white Lotus spun on turn 9 and we narrowly avoided it, there was gravel on the track in a few places, and the remnants of someones tyre that had lost its tread between turns 11 and 12. Towards the end a Subaru estate lost it at turn 8.

It was quite an experience - in some ways very similar to a video game, but with actual G-forces! My favourite parts of the circuit are turns 3, 5 to 8 and 12 to 14. All fast corners.

I was surprised at the turnout. Instead of the expected Ferrari's & Porsche's, there were Satria's, Silvia's, Subaru's, a few 350Z's, a Mini!, an open-topped kit car and some completely normal looking road cars like Wiras, Honda's Gen2's etc...

I guess that the Ferrari & Porsche brigade are just rich enough to afford one and aren't necessarily interested in driving them on a track - there is the risk of damage to consider also!

I could feel my stomach muscles after 16laps (40mins) - imagine how fit the F1 drivers must be to go twice as fast for twice as long!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

eagerly awaiting your trackday pictures!