Sunday, January 14, 2007

Century Ride

I rode 144.1km today! That's 89.5 miles!

Up at 5.40am, breakfast of Weetabix & raisins (carbs!). Left in darkness at 6.00am. Co-incidentally met Ah Fook at the start of Old Gombak Road and we cycled to HOA together. Met Arif, May Sen, Mac, Ashley Lim, Napi, Benny & others & made our way up to Genting Sempah.

We arrived at the top just after 8am and met a large group who had gathered there - Ron, James, Ivan, Annie, Seth, Wong, Bernard, PK Hong, Dr. Nabil and many more. Ate banana #1.

Then began the nice descent into the valley, the lower half of which has a lovely new surface. We stopped where someone had punctured for a minute and then regrouped at the Hot Springs.

We cruised along the gently downhill valley road (last 20km to Bentong) in the high 30's (kph). My final blast at the front came just before the road rises gently 1km before the town, at which point, as usual, my speed dropped dramatically and I was suddenly 500m behind everyone!

A quick water fill at the petrol station (where I met Nicholas, a Swedish guy working in their Embassy in KL) preceded the usual drink and Cendol (for me, Ais Kacang for others) at the Kow Po? Coffee House. Ate banana #2.

On the way back I set the pace for 1-2km then was passed by 1 or 2 riders, most memorably Bernard, who flew off into the distance. After a while the bunch settled into a steady 28-32kph pace along the slightly undulating but uphill road towards the climb back up to Genting. Arif, myself, and "Blue Rudy Project Top Man" as I call him took turns punching a hole in the air for everyone else.

At exactly the same spot where I was dropped by Bike Pro on my last visit here, where the grade increases before the main climb, I fell back again. Powergel time!

Maybe it was all in the mind but I felt stronger after the Powergel and was pleased that Arif and May Sen (who were a few hundred metres ahead) weren't getting further away. I passed Ah Fook - who I must say is a bit of a hero for riding over 100k with running shoes and no pedal clips or straps - and eventually caught Arif & May Sen. Arif & I had a bit of fun as we caught and passed Benny about 200m from McD's.

10mins rest and a fill of water later, I headed off up the short sharp climb to the summit, and free-wheeled the 15km back down. On the way I passed some policemen and passers-by looking down a very steep ravine, in the bottom of which was an overturned white car - God help the passengers.

The 18km final run to home was less pleasant as I negotiated Sunday lunchtime Jalan Genting Klang traffic. Home at 1.35pm.

Right knee was fine - so adjustment to cleat must have been correct. Today was the first time ever wearing bibshorts and I must say they are extremely comfortable. No waist strap and improved ventilation - no wonder that's what the pro's wear!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go man! Is this your first? where's the route? I also had my first early this year Kota Damansara - Batang Berjuntai route (Actually <100 km but after got lost, it made up >100 km when i reached home).

Adrian said...

hi kabrio. not my first. i rode 179km from Kelana Jaya to Ulu Yam to Genting & back with bike Pro in 1997 (longest ever ride, probably never to be beaten!), and did quite a few 60mile+ (100k 'ish) rides in the UK when I was a wee teenager, but hadn't ridden 100k since '98 in Singapore until yesterday. next target is 100miles = 160.9km!

fook said...

it was great ride with u, my first long distance, when reach home, pain in y butt haha... tell me if u doin 100 mile... see u this sunday at Great Eastern run! all the best!

Adrian said...

yeah it was a good ride. see you on sunday.