Monday, January 01, 2007

Interval Training

My body was pretty tired following a fast (for me!) 5k run, 1hr swim lesson and a long (1h50m) Hash on Saturday, so on Sunday morning I had a well deserved lie-in. To make up for that, and to get one final bit of training done in 2006 I decided to try out the interval training feature on my HRM for the first time.

I have been reluctant to do intervals before as I perceived that it would involve very high heart rates, but it didn't work out that way. My max. HR was only 163bpm.

I cycled anticlockwise around a 5km loop just outside my condo and did 11 x 30sec intervals at maximum effort, with 5 minute recoveries. The 4th interval was disrupted by a high-speed downhill bend...



This type of training will add a bit of variety to my routine, and should improve my cycling speed. I plan to do more interval training, with varying interval/recovery times and effort levels.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments: