Monday, June 04, 2007

A 2-day Weekend - What's That?

I had 2 days off work at the weekend!!! Oh how I wish it was like that every weekend. With some luck I will soon be able to rejoin the normal World and only work 5 days a week.

Saturday

Lucas did his normal trick of waking up super-early even though he didn't have to go to school, and of course Daddy had to get up also to provide entertainment. Later in the a.m. we went off to Pasar Rakyat to plan our posh coach trip to Singapore for the OSIM tri at the end of July. We were too early to book yet but at least we know the prices and schedules now - and that they do have space for my bike in it's bag. I always plan well in advance - that's why my race number are normally very low or end with ..01 or ...02.

We then drove off to Joo Ngan Son in Damansara via the SMART tunnel (to show Lucas the tunnel). On the way Lucas declared that he wanted his favourite chicken rice for lunch and luckily enough we found a nice old Chinese food court place opposite the bike shop serving exactly what he wanted. Then it was time to visit Daddy's toy shop, where my accidentally credit card fell out of my wallet and I bought a new helmet...


It's a MET Stradivarius 199 and unlike my 9-year old Rudy Project number, it fits properly, is very light, isn't covered with messy sticky left over bits of race numbers, and is the same colour as my jersey.

After that we were heading home when Lucas noticed that we were near BSC, so he excitedly asked if he could go to the Kiz Sports. So with little else to do off we went. After a couple of rounds on the Scalextric track (I won Round 1, Lucas beat 3 other boys in Round 2) and a trip to the book shop for a mag for me, Lucas spent 1hr+ running around and playing while I read the mag. Then off home.

Didn't do much in the evening apart from prepare for a round-trip ride to Bentong. Couldn't even watch the Giro TT as Astro was on the blink.

Sunday

Up at 5.40am and met Ah Fook at the gates. Off we rode to meet the PCC guys at Genting Sempah at 8am. We were 5 mins late and didn't manage to catch the speeding pack, so we only met them in Bentong. As usual I never fail to enjoy my Sunday rides, although the last hour on my own was a bit boring - my lower back was aching and my legs were quite tired. Distance - 140km (Mum - that's 87 miles) in a fraction under 6 hours - 7 minutes slower than in January. I've now cycled 1,750km this year - that's already 200km more than the whole of 2006!

In the afternoon I gave Lucas a bike-riding lesson and for the first time he put some real effort in - no doubt in the knowledge that his reward would be 30mins playing Super Mario 64 on the Nintendo emulator I've got on our PC. Twice he managed to get both feet up and pedalling from a standstill without any assistance and he did 3 quite long rides on his own with a bit of help to get going.

Crash Count - 0.
Crashes prevented by protective Daddy running behind Lucas - 1.
No. of times Daddy stood on Lucas' leg by running too close - 1.
Tears -0.
Sweat - yes.
Blood - not this time!

I'm already thinking that in Nov '08 he'll be 7 and can start doing Triathlons! (if he wants to)

I lazed the rest of the day away and slept early. I missed the MotoGP, Giro Finale, a good movie and Judge John Deed due to the continuous evening rain.

Monday

Tired legs today, but already thinking about the upcoming events. 25km Ballbreaker Hash on Sunday. My main concern is to avoid mosquitoes.

I'm also going to sign up for the risque-sounding Fak-Up TT's. I love the Indemnity statement on the application form. It starts "If I die..." !!!

1 comment:

The Editor said...

I knew there was something different bout you yesterday. The thought of already seeing you in that Suinier Duuvall jersey now only matches with the MET yellow helmet.

The only thing missing is the SCOTT Addict bike ;-)