Tuesday, June 05, 2007

B 2 B (Back To Bentong)

In my efforts to become a Half-Ironman Hero in a couple of months I’m upping my biking mileage this year, so I had to leave my comfy bed at the ridiculously early hour of 5.40am to make it to Genting Sempah by 8am to join the Bentong ice-cream pilgrimage.

Unfortunately Ah Fook and I arrived 5 minutes late and so had to fly down the hill towards Bentong in the hope of catching the PCC peloton.

Despite a swift descent, to my surprise there was no sign of the speeding PCC boys and girls until we spotted Ah Fatt acting suspiciously at the Hot Springs. What was he up to I asked myself? Short-cutting by starting at the hot springs? Packing up after a 20min cruise down the hill? Going for a quick dip?

Alas there was a job to be done so Fook and I continued courageously but never did manage to catch the pack. I won’t mention that Fook fell off his bike upon arrival (forgot about feet being clipped to the pedals) as I don’t want to embarrass the poor lad!

After the usual ice cream and cendol for me, and fish balls for some, back we all headed towards Sempah. Now I’m getting to know the standard post-Bentong routine:

  • We all amble slowly to the traffic lights, talking about how nice the ice cream was.
  • A pack gradually forms on the slight hill just out of town.
  • Bernard “Nijdam” Tan breaks away on his own, never to be seen again!
  • We form a nice fast paceline in which I do a good but ultimately unsustainable stint at the front (until the road starts to rise) at which point…
  • I change back into 3rd gear and get massively dropped by almost the entire bunch.
  • I overtake Mac about halfway up the hill. (This is a repeat of a recent Frasers ride)

    However on this ride a certain Ivan ‘Basso” Chan threw the rule book away by attempting a stunning solo breakaway!! I’m not sure what happened to him though! I swear I have never seen him move soooooooo fast!!!

    Stats for my own benefit:

    140km in 5:59:58 @ slow kph.
    Weight 77kg.
    Heart rate surprisingly low today. I did almost the entire climb to Sempah at <145bpm.>
  • No comments: