Monday, June 11, 2007

Legbreaker

I found myself in a highly unusual situation for a Sunday yesterday morning - I was still in bed at 8.50am. By that time the previous Sunday morning I had already cycled almost 70km and was heading into Bentong.

So I had a nice lie-in and later in the morning took Lucas out to ride his bike (he's getting better every time now - and I am becoming less nervous about him falling off) and then we had a quick go on his (and my) new favourite game - Super Mario 64. We've got 16 Gold Stars now!! Hooray!


I then realised that time was running out for me to pack and head off to Ulu Yam for the 10th Annual KL Full Moon "Ballbreaker" Hash.

Ballbreaker

We set-off just after 1pm. The first check took a long time to break and had a false trail. The subsequent checks also took some time to break, and I was a bit annoyed that hardly anyone was calling or answering my calls (calling is shouting out to ascertain if people are still on the paper trail or not).

An early river crossing filled my shoes with gravel that made the rest of the run rather uncomfortable but luckily my feet bore up quite well. I stopped once to "de-gravel" my shoes once. The shoe soles that I had glued back on the night before only lasted about 20 minutes before they came off again!

The first sector included a 300m high climb and took over 2 hours. The second sector was less strenuous but had some pretty steep trails - and great views. Due to the delays in the first sector I finished sector 2 at about 1710hrs, 25mins after the supposed cut-off time. The third sector was the easiest and fastest and I actually managed to do some running!

The rain made some of the trails pretty slippery, especially in the oil palm plantations. By this time I could sense that my much used and bleached socks, combined with gravel and water sloshing around in them for 4 hours, were beginning to disintegrate, and indeed I was correct as you can now see for yourself..........

Mmmmmmmm...nice socks! They used to be white!

I finished the 25km in 5:24:57, some 45 minutes behind the front runner. There was over 1000' of climbing on this hash.

Hashers - 240
Distance - 25km
Ascent - >1000'
Checks - 15
Leeches - 0 (for me anyway)
Red Ant Bites - 1
2cm dia. bite on my arm from unknown creature - 1
Sliding down hill on bum - 1
Nearly Head over Heels - 3
Scratches on legs, especially inside heels - lots!
Totally ruined pairs of socks - 1
Beer after the run - 0
PowerGel - @ 1h44m and 2h15m

I didn't stretch properly afterwards so today I'm struggling to walk properly!

Sporting Success

On the sporting front, although I missed all the action as ASTRO was on the blink AGAIN due to evening rain, 'twas a good weekend for me. Bradley Wiggins won the Dauphine Libere prologue, Casey and his Ducati beat Rossi to win the MotoGP and Hammo won the Canadian GP. The only downer was that I wanted Federer to win the French Open...never mind!

1 comment:

Vicious Cycle said...

good hike!