Monday, June 04, 2007

Enstek

Sorry but I really need to get this off my chest. It's Monday and I can't take it any more! It's been on my mind for about a year but the final straw came today when I travelled to work by LRT and once again had to face adverts for @Enstek.

@Enstek is another one of those property developments like those that starts with "i" or "e" to make you think that you are getting something amazingly modern and super high-tech when in actual fact it's the same bricks and mortar as 20-years ago, but with a broadband or wireless Internet connection.

The thing about @Enstek that gets to me more than most is the advertising. @Enstek is not just a house with some neighbours (if anyone chooses to live in the "suburb" of an airport) - it is, according to the ads, an "innovative lifestyle solution", offering a "new culture of living" and...wait for it...it is "the first knowledge-based planned community".

What the H*ll is a "knowledge-based" community??

From now on when people ask me what I do I won't say I'm a Civil Engineer - I'll say I'm a Dynamic and Innovative Knowledge-based Tech-savvy Construction Management Solutions Provider.

5 comments:

tryathlete said...

as a copywriter, our clients do insist on us coining terms like that (no, i didn't write the @Enstek ads) our clients are always asking us to find new ways of saying something old, so that they sound different from their competitors. it always pisses me off to have to sh*te like that,i mean why not call a spade a spade instead of calling it a sophisticated digging device? but hey, i gotta make a living right?

tryathlete said...

"it always pisses me off to have to sh*te like that"...

oops i meant write sh*te like that...

The Editor said...

"Knowledge based community" - Its people who thinks they are clever in a dumb township.

Hey, I was Civil Engineer too, we do "C"onstruct "I"diotic, "V"ulnerable & non "I"mplementable "L"iving Quarters

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, these comments remind me of someone with the same name as you!! Spooky!!

Vicious Cycle said...

LOL !! this is just so soo funny..
i had the same thought!!!
And mine is Melilea group advert " A date with the president"

who in the right mind want to date a person which has to advertise " A DATE " ?