Monday, February 11, 2008

Solar New Year

I just had a nice 4 day break!

WEDNESDAY pm

A post-work KLCC run:- 2 lap warm-up followed by 4 x 1,000m and then a good stretching sesh. I aggravated my yet-to-heal right calf strain but it didn't seem bad enough to jeapordise the following days monster 200km+ ride.

THURSDAY

The sun had much more of an effect on me than the moon did on Lunar New Years Day. I headed out for my second Fraser's Loop ride at 6.40am and was glad not to be faced by the morning rain that was falling the last time I did this route.

An early drama was avoided as I took hold of a road divider sign at a red light to avoid having to unclip from my pedals. As I reached out I guessed there was a good chance that it would not be firmly fixed. Indeed it wasn't and it duly fell off the post and rolled onto the road - luckily I was prepared for this eventuality and did not fall off!

After watching a lovely sunrise over the hills ahead of me I met a surprisingly big group at HOA and we headed off up to Genting Sempah. I was stuck on my own between Adzim and Wendy up-front and a pack behind, and was eventually swallowed up and spat out the back towards the top. Down towards Bentong I did my usual Samuel Sanchez impression and ended up at the front, where I was joined by Adzim, Arif and ? about 16km from town. We took turns at the front - going faster than I would have liked considering the km's ahead - and refuelled at the Shell.

Then off to Tranum. I was left all alone at the back as soon as the road headed skywards. It was getting mighty hot now! After a quick break at Tranum we headed off up the 20km+ climb to Gap. I was at the back again but after I got going I managed to catch Rashid, Anwar and Disco Boy. Later on I tired again and Rashid, and then Anwar, pulled ahead. As before, the last 5km were a bit of a drag.

On the way down to KKB I took it fairly easy but still ended up doing some unplanned cyclocross on one sharp right-hander. I had to swing left to avoid a large water-filled pothole surrounded by grit, and ended up heading off the road where I had the choice of steering sharply right to stay on - but surely lose my front wheel on the grit - or going off. I chose the latter and ended up cycling 10m along a deep and jagged scar in the surface with a muddy stream running in it. Luckily I avoided punctures, buckled wheels - and stayed upright.

Time for a welcome break at Petronas KKB. It was burnin' hot so I slapped on a load of sun cream and we headed off to Batang Kali. Dicky Z setting a fast wind-assisted pace with me tucked in behind him. The reasonable pace continued to Ulu Yam where we had another quick stop. I got left behind while I slapped on a load more sun cream and when the road started rising and my legs had zero power, I knew the next 10km was going to be long and lonely!

My trip meter was at 175km. It was about 4pm and still a clear and hot hot hot day - unlike the darkness and torrential rain we had last time out. I began to struggle badly. I could barely turn 1st gear. Before the main climb I caught Rashid. He struggled with me for a while before stopping to rest. I could see a cyclist spot on the horizon (Arif) and joined him about halfway up. I was shocked to see Azwar sitting by the road - he was also struggling! - but managed to keep going fast enough to stay upright - and finally made it to the top just behind Arif. I freewheeled the next few km before the final sharp climb next to the dam.

I then spun home on empty legs.

213.3km in 9:07:00 - 10mins slower than last time.

FRIDAY

Had a lie-in! Lunch with J & L in Chili's KLCC. Legs feeling ok and I even managed a 20min easy-spin on the turbo trainer before plunging into the pool and doing some drills, and playing with Lucas.

SATURDAY

Another lie-in. Didn't go to Sunway Lagoon as planned. Went to GE Mall to buy some goodies for a Sunday BBQ. In the evening J and I had a belated 8th anniversary dinner in the rather posh Gobo Upstairs restaurant in the Traders Hotel. It was pricey but excellent food all round - starter, main course and dessert.

SUNDAY

Woken by alarm at 0530 for a 20km run. Then slept until 10! Up - chores - BBQ - couch potato - Manchester Derby - bed!

1 comment:

tryathlete said...

a-ha! no wonder i didn't see you at bukit aman sunday morning...