Friday, November 23, 2007

Cardio Test Day

I went for my annual heart check-up yesterday and did a treadmill stress test, which is the most intense exercise I will ever do.

Although completing the 15 minutes is not really that important, I was keen to improve on my 11-12 minutes for the last 2 years, where I couldn't go on due to my leg muscles threatening to fail completely.

This time I managed 13:14 and felt that I could have finished the full 15:00 but my HR had already reached 180bpm (out of 184bpm max.) so Doc Dewi pulled the plug. Blood pressure at rest and every 2:00 during the test = ok.

My ECG was "ok" and during the Echo I got a good clear view of my heart valves flapping around nicely on the flashy new digital ultrasound contraption. I'm even going to get a CD of the video - maybe I'll post it here for your viewing pleasure!

I've got the all-clear for continuing training but with the usual 165bpm ceiling. This is 90%HRmax which is fine for me, none of the training I'm interested in requires me to exceed this level.

No comments: