Friday, November 09, 2007

Monster Ride

The "Saddle Sores Ahead" warning sign on my previous post was supposed to be a joke, but it turned out to be highly prophetic.

Due to a rainy start to the day, my shorts were wet for the whole day and after 100km or so I began to feel the effect of the edge of the padded section rubbing on the tops of my thighs (posterior). So today I am moving around rather cautiously (kangkang ?)but it's bearable. Should be ok for a 64km spin on Sunday.

So....left the house at 6.10am and met Adzim, Bacin, Dicky Z, Jaja, Laif, May Senn, Azmar, Sofian and Yusran at HOA.

The rain and storm during the previous night had left the road up to G. Sempah and down towards Bentong in a big mess. Three times we had to dismount and climb over fallen trees.

Onto the slight downhill run into Bentong I enjoyed being towed for a while by Bacin & Adzim. From Bentong to Tranum things warmed up and the road rolled along. Then the shaded 21km up to Gap. This was a long climb and the last 5km seemed to last an age. I flew down into KKB (I can't bring myself to take it easy downhill - the thrill of a risky descent is the reward for a tough climb). I had a couple of hairy moments but managed to stay on 2 wheels.

The rewards continued as we had a tailwind all the way to Ulu Yam, where we stopped for a few minutes before heading off to conquer the next two climbs. Then the heavens opened and the skies darkened as we chugged our way along the valley and through driving rain until the Dam. I'd been dropped by the rest of the gang bar the girls, but eventually caught sight of Sofian towards the top, giving me a nice carrot to follow. Another wonderful 70kph descent on soaked roads followed, before the final short sharp climb at the Dam, where I was joined by Yusran Bennati.

Time was flying so I said farewell before Batu Caves and headed home. Quite an adventure! A once a year ride for me! THANKS to all my companions - 'twas a great day!

Distance - 214km (133 miles) in 8:57:43 @ 23.88kph
Total Ascent - 1986m!

5 comments:

Simon said...

Nice one - that's our regular Ironman training ride prior to Langkawi - albeit we do it the other way around. Doesn't sound like the weather was friendly though.

Still waiting for you Fergie vs Halle feedback - or are you too disgusted?

Anonymous said...

Hi Adrian
I found your blog when i was surfing for more information about chin woo biathlon event. BTW you can visit mine too http://michlooi.multiply.com
I post a lot of my hiking photos in there.
Anyway good luck and have fun this weekend.

Abu Soffian said...

Good luck ya 4 powerman

Azman said...

Kangkang. Yep, you got that right. :)

sofiantriathlete said...

where are the pictures you took Adrian?