Sunday, November 11, 2007

Powerman

My finishers medal says "Run Bike Run" but it was "Run Bike Walk" for me! Anyway it was good fun and I got to enjoy riding my Planet X for 64km and the totally dry conditions means I hardly even have to wash it!

This was my most sociable race this year. I did a slow but very comfortable first 11km run, towards the middle of which Arif and Ishsal caught and joined me.

With Arif on the first run.

As Arif and I exited the stadium for the 2nd lap, the Pro's were finishing their run! On Lap 2 the imcyclist gang joined us. I then dropped behind them by 1-200m going into T1, giving me a bit of catching-up to do on the bike.

On the bike I was able to enjoy continuously overtaking the faster runners from the first leg, and eventually made it to some of my targets.......Mr Shazly Orbea and........Arif Cervelo. Was looking quite good on the bike... almost exactly 30:00 for each of the first 2 x 16km sections.

Arif (& Laif) and I exchanged places a few times before Edwin caught us early into the second loop. I managed to catch and pass Powergirl Karen, but expected her to return the favour on the final run. Riding the noisiest bike in the World (rear disc wheel), Edwin offered me some encouragement and riding tips, but I rode a bit beyond my preferred pace and by the final u-turn at 48km my legs had gone, my neck and shoulders didn't want to go aero anymore.

Then...room-mate and up-and-coming riding superstar Adeline, astride her Prince, overtook me. A few minutes later, man-machine and baby-faced race-leader Joerie Vansteelant whizzed passed me. Some 20 minutes later, 2nd place hadn't passed me, so JoVan must have had a healthy lead by that point. I'm glad he only caught me after I passed the ride halfway point as I get depressed if they go more than double my speed! By the I made it to the end of the ride, losing 4-5mins on the final 20km, with Shazly and Arif behind, but not very far I thought.

T2 - my most relaxed transition ever! ...and Arif sneaks in front of me on the way out! The race is on!!!

Into T2

I didn't drink enough on the bike.

Costume change #2.

All set...but wait a minute...who's that sneaking up behind me!?

This is where the walking bit starts........I ran for a few minutes then needed to walk. I enjoyed the walking so much I did it on and off for the next 1:30! Arif and I were swapping places again, and sure enough Karen cruised by as expected. Edwin was close by too. I spotted Raymond_HKK suffering with cramps by the roadside...he didn't look very happy! Into the second lap Shazly caught up and ended up too far away to be caught, but we eventually caught sight of Bernard and Edwin.

The usual 1km-to-go feeling arrived and I managed a final burst of running to finish in 4:40, 10 minutes outside my target. Also 15 minutes too late to avoid owing Simon a beer. But considering my >300km of riding and 14hrs of training that week and that I'm not supposed to be "racing" at the moment, I wasn't bothered.

Another finish.

Happy it's over!

I enjoyed the race a lot, especially chatting with friends on the runs, mini "battles" on the road etc...

Run (10.4k) - 1:04:19 (6:11/km)
T1 - 2:26
Bike (63.1k) - 2:04:07 (30.52kph)
T2 - 2:48
Run (10.1k) - 1:26:26 (8:34/km)
TOTAL - 4:40:06

A MASSIVE thanks again to Tey and Ivie for the photos!

7 comments:

Keipo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keipo said...

Adrian:

I finally select around 1600 from my 2000 plus pics ,last nite n this morning bc to select.So..will upload asap..I think during lunch time n after work 6pm,cause 3-5pm later today got Powerman seagame PC at OCM.

Or maybe I will email u foto first to u email ya...!!

9:58 AM

Abu Soffian said...

Good jobs dude

Anonymous said...

Hey Adrian,

Check it out...
http://ivieong.multiply.com/photos/album/26/Lumut_Powerman_2007

Raymond said...

thanks for calling the ambulance adrian! haha

Jaja Shah said...

congrats dude! powerrr!

The Editor said...

Damn, u are fast even when u walk