Thursday, November 01, 2007

Once Upon A Time...

I managed to dig out a few old snaps when I was at Mum's place recently...

c1985, age 14, ready to cycle about 2km to Samuel Whitbread School on a decent looking summer day, astride my sturdy Raleigh Grifter, in the days before I converted to 700c wheels. With two tennis raquets tucked in my Midland Bank bag...



Next, c1987, age 16, another nice day (early Winter), with little bruv Max before setting off for a few days cycling in the Cotswolds, on my much-missed* Carlton Carrera bike. With clips and straps, a well-loved silver Isostar water-bottle, soft-soled Reebok trainers and mudguards squeezed onto a racing frame. I loved that bike. Paid for with a year of saved paper round money, it had a beautiful 60cm Reynolds 531c frame with chromed forks, and a Shimano 105 groupset. Downtube shifters and exposed brake-cables were the order of the day back then...


Finally, c1988, with pal Ben on his slightly-too-big-for-him 61cm Raleigh Road-Ace, ready to leave Stranraer for a 4-day ride across the South of Scotland and down into the Lake District.

This was an absolutely fantastic ride that I'll never forget. I set off, with black woolly jumper under my Fagor jersey, knitted track mitts, 2 full rear panniers (I was the mule for the two of us), new brake levers, Avocet computer, a slightly improved hair style and a selection of scars on my left leg from a crash a few days before (I went off the road going too fast down a steep winding hill near Stranraer, did an endo over a stone wall and ended up upside-down in a bush with by bike on top of me and my feet still clipped in). The adrenalin rush was great!...


Before this ride I spent hours in my bedroom listening to ELO and closely analysing a huge Ordnance Survey map of the Lakes, to formulate a route that would cover all the main Passes in the area. I was looking to ride along roads with black arrows on them (indicating grades steeper than 1:10 or 10%).

Day 1 - Stranraer to Castle Douglas
Day 2 - Castle Douglas to Carlisle
Day 3 - Carlisle to N Lakes to Helvellyn YHA
Day 4 - Helvellyn YHA to S Lakes to Oxenholme

On Days 3 and 4 we conquered the ridiculously steep Hardknott, Honister and Kirkstone Passes. We might have done Wrynose or Whinlatter too. We did about 120-130km a day and I don't remember struggling up the hills...unlike these days...although I am more than double the age I was then!

And we played nomination Whist on the train all the way home!

*Stolen from outside Leeds Uni Civil Engineering Dept. in 1991-ish. I left it unlocked as I was rushing to the start of a lecture and decided to take the risk - I lost!

2 comments:

Simon said...

Love the helmets - NOT! Sad to hear that the bike was nicked. WOW - look at Fergie - seems that there's been a rush of interest.

bola2api said...

pergh... u've been riding all along..

I too had a bike during my A level days in northampton but I left the bike at the college.